Sunday, May 3, 2009

Weekend Music Roundup

I listened to a ton of new music this week, a lot of it really blew me away, some confused me and some left me feeling unsatisfied. There was definitely two weeks of material in the mix, so I'm saving some for next week after I have more time to study them. But here's a roundup of some of the more memorable ones of the week.



Hexlove - Pija z Bogiem: Ranging from lo-fi folk to break beat trance, to call this double album diverse is an understatement. During the listen, I went back and forth from thinking it sucked, to loving it. It was kind of like The Microphones Glow Pt. 2 album, only with electronica thrown in (and not nearly as amazing). There is definitely the potential here for this to become a favorite...it has good "grower" prospects.

  
Azita - How Will You: Unlike the above, this was a no doubter. From song 1, I was hooked on the swirling sunshine beauty of this album. I picked it up in the used bin without knowing anything about it, except that it was released on Drag City (a favorite label of mine since the late '90s). A lot like the Earlies, or the mellow Elephant 6 recordings...something like the Sunshine Fix

The Von Bondies - Love, Hate, and Then There's You: I've been a fan of these Detroit garage rockers since their first release and finally got to listen to the new album. Though it lacks the grit of the first album and the sonic punch of the second, it's a decent enough third album. But definitely pick up the older ones before this.


Portugal. The Man. - It's Complicated Being a Wizard: This Alaskan band's newest album (Censored Colors) was one of my Top 10 from last year, so now I'm making my way through the back catalog. This is the album prior to that one and at first it felt so different. The perfect song structure from the new album isn't there and it's a kind of long spiraling opera piece. It confused me at first...but upon the second listen, I was loving it. 

Chris Bathgate - a cork tale wake: An acoustic singer/songwriter album tinged with the gloominess of a cold north woods winter. I'm such a sucker for that kind of sadness.
Yuichiro Fujimoto - The Mountain Record: super minimalist instrumental folk album (like 3 notes every 30 seconds minimalist) but it works because of the other sounds on the album. You can hear the wind. You can hear far off children playing. It's the kind of record that sounds like you opened your window on a lazy summer day and the world was cued a perfect soundtrack.


Sibylle Baier - Colour Green: A traditional sounding acoustic folk album that never gets dull. Sibylle's voice is amazing, the kind that gets into the center of your bones. This is the kind of album I always wished Jolie Holland would make, but never does. 


King Creosote - KCrulesOK: A lot like like the previous entry Azita...some genre of sunshine indie sound. Great for the summer.



Paul Duncan - To An Ambient Hollywood: Moody lo-fi from Brooklynite Paul Duncan. I have his album from two years ago, this is an earlier one. Both are worthwhile if your into that lo-fi sound. 

The Immortal Lee County Killers - The Essential Fucked Up Blues!: Part of the garage revival of 2001, this is an album I missed. It's dirty and raw garage rock along the lines of the first Soledad Brothers album, though I think I liked this better. If your into garage, this is worth picking up...but it's not going to be anything you haven't heard before if you're schooled in the genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment