Thursday, August 27, 2009

Yay! I've Been Whim Struck





Out of the blue, I started writing a new story the other day. It was one of those days when a line popped into my head early in the morning and it just felt like it had momentum. It came pre-attached in a character's voice . . a character who I felt I instantly knew. So, I ran with it.

Naturally, that first line didn't even stay, but I banged out a page and really liked what came out. The next day, I sketched out some ideas and characters and a story came pretty easily. Went at it again today and knocked out a darned good first chapter. The story is a funny, yet ever sooo serious, middle grade book about the impossibilities of sixth grade romance. God knows, I suffered through enough of those to have a wealth of material to draw from. It's the first time in a little while that I've dove into a project without analyzing it to death beforehand. Refreshing. 

Sometimes I wish writing was always as effortless as it was today. 

Other times, I'm very thankful for the challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment