Monday, February 22, 2010

Weekend Music Roundup (Monday Morning Edition)


The Roundup comes a day late this week due to my brief but pleasant sojourn to Florida for the past several days. The list is also cut short due to a few less days of listening time. However, I think I can pull off a respectable addition to the Monday Morning Edition of the Roundup. Enjoy.

The Muldoons - The Muldoons: I saw these kids (literally, kids) open for The White Stripes years ago, but the sound was terrible and the crowd was loud, so I didn't really get to hear much of it to any extent. I tracked it down again after my interest was perked by a later entry on this list and was shocked at how good this album was. A heavy Detroit garage sound from the minds of two preteen boys. Aggressive and angry and great. It quickly made the top ten of my KidCore list

The Alan Parsons Project - I Robot: One of five APP albums I got from what I'm now referring to as the Great Vinyl Score of Christmas '09, this was definitely my favorite of the five. Sure, it's pure late '70s coke rock but I've always had a soft spot for that genre when done well, thanks to my Saturday Night Fever disco punk days in the winter of '93...the winter where everything changed. This album kind of takes me back there on an emotional level. It was a fun ride.

Seasick Steve - Dog House Music: I'm a little late to the party on this one in a way...though I've known of Steve since this album, released back in 2006, I didn't really tune in. He plays a style blues with a real old timey feel, which makes sense, him being an old timer and all. He got big in the UK a few years back and I've been digging on the track "Things Go Up" for well over a year. Finally got hold of the whole album (he has subsequent releases). It's solid old timey blues, if that's your thing. 

Spank Rock - YoYoYoYoYo: Yet another album from 2006 that I missed out on. I got into Spank Rock through backdoor channels, which really isn't that unusual in my listening history. His guest rhyme on Santogold's "Shove It" is supreme, enough so that he deserved his day in court. This didn't disappoint. Interesting beats and golden flow...a hip-hop recipe for long listening pleasure.
 
The Upholsters - Makers of High Grade Suites: A pre-White Stripes Jack White project, The Upholsters only ever put out this one 7 inch, but the three songs on here are pure garage heaven. I've been searching for this for years. One of the B-sides surfaced on a White Stripes bootleg I got years ago (a cover of Jack Starr's "Pain Gimme Sympathy") and is one of my favorite songs. The other two songs on here are equally as blistering. Six well spent minutes. The other guy in the band is the father of The Muldoon boys, he's also the drummer in that band.

Brian Jones - Bones and Jones (Vol. 1 and 2): Brian Jones is one of the towering figures of rock lore that has always intrigued me, not only because he's my namesake, but also because everyone knows Mick and Keith sold his soul for rock n' roll. This two disc bootleg gives a good insight to the Jone's Stones influence, the more Beatlesque sounding Stones tracks that all but disappear after his death. Good stuff. 

Neil Young - Time Fades Away: This 1973 live album completes my pre-1980 Neil Young collection. Though I have a ton of live Neil concerts from that era, this album is significantly different. A much more country folk selection of songs and more jamming than many of the acoustic sets I've heard from the same era. Well worth it for Neil fans. 

Uriah Heep - Return to Fantasy: Another one from the Great Vinyl Score, this 1975 hard prog rock from German band Uriah Heep is pretty awesome in a Led Zeppelin kind of way (the cover sort of gives that away). I also have an earlier album of theirs (Salisbury) which is also pretty good, but this one stood out as being a little stronger in my opinion. Nothing revolutionary, but a solid '70s hard rock album for those sick of the ones you've heard six million times already.


No comments:

Post a Comment