Monday, June 7, 2010

Monday Morning Glory





In the previous installments of this Monday rambling, I've chosen lines that have been bouncing around in my head for years and years. But the thing about all of them is that their impression on me was instantaneous. It wasn't the passing of time that made them stand out. Their genius hit me in the moment. In that spirit, today I've decided to highlight a line that I encountered just yesterday. I read this metaphor yesterday and smiled at its brilliance :




A notebook is a caution against forgetting.









As someone whose office is littered with scraps of paper and stacks of pocket notebooks and whose ipod Notes application gets frequent entries, I could really relate to this. There are times when I get a great idea after I've already gone to bed and wonder if it's worth turning the light back on for, thinking it'll still be there in the morning if it's worth remembering. I toss and turn and eventually realize I will never get any sleep if I don't write it down...because, well, a notebook is a caution against forgetting.


1 comment:

  1. I'm not a writer like you Brian, but I have notes everywhere to jot down ideas etc. I hate it when I wake up about 2am full of good ideas and have to write them down.

    ReplyDelete