Saturday, September 4, 2010

I, Me, Mine


A common theme that runs through most of my characters is a feeling of isolation. Though they may have friends or love interests that help them through it, there are moments where they are convinced they don't belong in the world. This isn't some glorification of the outsider (as I've been accused of in the past) but a manifestation of a way I've often felt. I think a good number of writers feel this way and felt this way since childhood. We are observers, watchers, and rarely participants. Stories and fictions are how we connect with the world. Books are a comfort for isolation and writing is a gift to others who share the feeling.


2 comments:

  1. For those of us who don't write but feel the same way, we are very thankful.

    I for one prefer a book for my lunch date.

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, I call it the Stranger in a Strange Land feeling though Colin Wilson first introduced me to the idea.

    ReplyDelete