Thursday, October 21, 2010

Here, Story, Story, Story...Here Boy!



Once I start writing a new story, I hate taking even one day off from it until I've finished. I don't like to break rhythm or character. But sometimes, it's oddly the best thing for it.

I started writing a story about fifth grade a few weeks ago and though I liked what I was getting on the page, I was fighting to get it there. I don't like to admit it, but I was a bit thankful when the edits came in for my new novel, forcing me to temporarily quit fifth grade.

Then came the movie script I've been writing with my friend. Whoo! Another week of playing hooky from higher elementary school. Once that was done, there were a days worth of errands to run. But time was running out. It was either I get back to it or I start something else.

This morning I woke up and realized a perfect opening scene for my fifth grade story. I also realized that what I'd written before was more of a character study for my self and not an actual story. It all started to come together in a burst.

The lesson today is that sometimes you must wait for the story to come to you instead of running to find it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a writer but sometimes you need to stop fighting, distract the mind, and let the unconcious lsten. Good post.

    ReplyDelete