Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Where Do We Go Now?



On a grey and wet, autumn-like afternoon yesterday, I did the best thing to do on such afternoons and lost myself in fiction. In other words, I went to the movies to see Prometheus. I can't remember the last time I've looked forward to a movie with as much anticipation as this and overall, I thought it delivered. Of course it looked great and sounded great, and the story was also intriguing. And when it really comes down to it, story is what I'm always longing for.

I've always believed that a great sci-fi movie leaves you with as many questions as it answered. It's a genre designed to make the viewer, or reader, ponder the bigger questions in life that sometimes feel too big to think about in a vacuum. It's easier to think about abstract concepts like where do we come from within the context of fiction. I felt Prometheus did a fantastic job of sparking the imagination while still allowing the story to live on long after I left the theater. 

I'm also a sucker for in-depth development of fictional worlds and mythology. Prometheus expanded the Alien mythology exponentially. By the end, I felt they left the blueprints for a universe as vast as the one found in Star Trek. It also stayed true to the Alien formula, but not in a way that felt stale...more in a "yeah, I missed these kind of characters" way.

No comments:

Post a Comment