Saturday, August 11, 2012

Vanishing Wonder


One the most frequent criticisms I receive with my work involves my ending of Zombie Blondes and the ambiguous nature of the final scene. It surprises me how many people can't seem to enjoy an open ending in any form. I was reminded of this yesterday after seeing the new Total Recall movie yesterday and feeling that the ending of this version was much less thought provoking. 

It had been decades since I'd seen the original version of the film, but I clearly remembered that when the movie ended, I was left with a wonderful sense of not knowing which reality was true. The new film didn't capture that feeling at the end nearly as well. It certainly leaned toward one reality more than the other. I can't help but feel that this speaks volumes about the current state of our imaginations. Audiences don't want to think too hard. They want things presented to them neatly, with tightly wrapped endings. It's sad in a way. Part of the enjoyment of storytelling is that a good story stays with you long after it's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment