Friday, February 15, 2013

Fiction Friday: Peculiar Edition


As a writer, the true measure of an amazing book is when I encounter one I wish I had written. Recently I read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and it was one of those books. With every turn of the page, I was enthralled with not only the imaginative story, but also the wonderful characters that inhabit it. In my own writing, I often include elements of classic children's fiction in a contemporary setting. This book weaves in those magical elements in such an excellent way, creating a modern fairy tale with all the development of a fictional universe.

I don't want to tell too much about the plot, because this is definitely a book where the surprises are worth waiting for. However, there a few aspects that I need to mention. The first is the brilliant concept of a time loop; a place hidden in time where those under it's protection live the same day over and over again, aware that outside the loop, time still passes as usual.  In this case, the inhabitants are children with unusual gifts such as invisibility, levitation, and animating the dead. Not since The Watchmen have I met such a intriguing cast of individuals that were so geniusly executed.

In addition to the wonderful world created in its pages, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is also a hypnotizing suspense novel. It was such an inspiring read, one that made me rethink several stories I've had floating around. For me, that is the mark of story that will stay with me forever. Absolutely wonderful. I can't wait for the next one. 

1 comment:

  1. I read this book and was completely fascinated by it. I loved how the author took all these "peculiar" pictures and weaved together a story (that made sense, even.) What a creative idea.

    ReplyDelete