Saturday, August 10, 2013

Weekend Music Roundup



So this week I'm finally getting back into some more contemporary releases, while still revisiting some older albums. The cool weather has definitely put me in the mood for more introverted autumn music. Also, a productive week of writing also has me leaning to more atmosphere music. A lot of different genres on the list this week. Hopefully there is something you will enjoy.


Guilt Mountain - Tiger Hour: From the mind of Kate Larson comes this enjoyable little album of home recordings. It's everything you'd expect from a home recording, a talented singer-songwriter sharing personal and playful songs. You can find this album for free on the linked bandcamp page. I highly recommend it.

The Kooks - Konk: I've owned this album since its release back in 2008, but recently have been listening to it quite frequently. Following in the wave of UK acts like Arctic Monkeys, this Brighton band definitely has more of a pop sense to their brand of indie rock. The result is super catchy songs that harken back to the heyday of Britpop. I would suggest seeking out the edition with the included bonus album, some of the best songs appear as extra tracks.

Cream - Fresh Cream: Following their departure from The Bluesbreakers, Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce went on to form Cream with drummer Ginger Baker. This 1966 debut album shows how they've grown beyond John Mayall's British blues style as they start to develop a more psychedelic hard rock style that will characterize their later work. A solid record that bridges two dynamic styles of '60s British rock music.

Rob St. John - Weald: I first discovered this Scottish indie folk artist on a trip to the UK back in 2008 when I purchased his limited release EP Like Alchemy. Three years later, in 2011, this full length debut was released. Last week I was finally able to get my hands on a copy and it's quite beautiful. There's a darkness to Rob's voice that creates such an amazing mood in his music. He's definitely an artist worth checking out.

Forest Sword - Engravings: When in the mood for electronic music, there really is nothing quite like it. Though I was into it for a long time, I don't follow it so much any longer, but every once in a while I will check out something new. Forest Sword got a lot of attention with his early EPs and this full length album is due out in September. As expected, it's very atmospheric without being overbearing or pretentious.

The Icarus Line - Slave Vows: Back in 2004, this L.A. band released one of my 10 favorite albums of the decade, Penance Soiree and followed it up in 2007 with another great album. And that was the last I heard from them until this album showed up in July (though there was a 2011 album released that seems quite impossible to find). With only a few listens, it has rocketed its way up on my favorite albums of the year so far. There is something about their music that captures that seedy L.A. vibe, dark and dangerous and irresistible at the same time. Fantastic stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment