Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Call of Isolation


My current novel deals heavily with feelings of isolation, both imposed and imagined. These can be difficult themes to express in ways that don't feel as confining as the feelings themselves. So instead of focusing on the internal emotions involved, I've tried to surround the story with the outside tensions they create.

Thankfully, there are plenty of conflicts to focus on. It is possibly the most plot driven book I've attempted to date. But as with my other novels, it is a plot that affects the characters on a deeply personal level. The tricky part is finding the balance between advancing the story and making sure the affect on the characters comes through in an honest and compelling way. It's a challenge, but one I feel up to at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment