Saturday, March 8, 2014

When Characters Get ANGRY!


One of the trickiest things to deal with sometimes is the strong emotions of a character. It's easy to get their words out in these situations, but harder to relay their actions. The problem is that writing is a controlled medium, and having to express uncontrolled rage can be difficult within the confines of language. 

I'm dealing with a lot of this in the manuscript I'm currently working on. Tensions run high in the story and I find myself consistently tangled in the frustrations of my characters. And though I do have ways of showing these feelings that I've developed over the years, I try my best not to revert to old habits that simply say things that I've already said. 

The art of anger is subtle, despite the action being very primal.

No comments:

Post a Comment