Thursday, July 24, 2014

Winter is Coming


I know I'm late to the game, but over the past few weeks, I've been trying to catch up. I've been binge watching Game of Thrones and seeing as how I just watched the "Red Wedding" episode last night, it seemed as good a time as any to share my thoughts on this highly addictive series. 

Game of Thrones breaks nearly all of the rules when it comes to television, mainly when it comes to killing off main characters. In the first three seasons, there have been multiple times when after I've finished an episode, I wonder how they can continue now that the hero is dead. But that's where the show continues to defy traditions. Usually in a show like this, where the characters are divided up into sides, with various agendas, a viewer's allegiances tends to be settled early on. And though I initially made judgements on most of the characters, I've found my opinions ever evolving. 

A perfect example of this is Jamie Lannister, the Kingslayer. In the first episode of the show, he's seen pushing young Bran Stark from a tower window. In subsequent episodes, he didn't do much of anything to redeem himself. But after one scene in the third season, my opinion of him entirely changed, and it didn't even have to resort to anything that went against his character. 

Another aspect where I find my allegiances changing is on who I hope will ultimately win the game and be seated on the iron throne. Initially, I held the same opinion of the Targaryen's as King Robert and Lord Stark. Viserys Targaryen certainly lived up to the reputation of tyranny and lunacy established early on, but as Dany's character makes her long march to regain the throne, I find myself thinking that perhaps the Taragaryen's should rule. After all, they are the rightful heirs, and Dany seems far more competent than the ravel fighting it out in Westeros. (With the exception of Rob Stark...but alas, the Stark reign appears as though it will never happen).

Though allegiances and feelings towards characters are ever-shifting, there are two characters who feel like the moral barometer to me; Tyrion Lannister and Ayra Stark. They've been my favorites since the beginning, and thankfully both have survived the bloodshed so far. But curiously enough, even the characters I loath, yes I'm speaking to you Joffrey, I enjoy. They all serve a greater purpose to the story. It's rare for a series with so many story lines happening at once not to have at least one dud, one story that makes you want to fast forward to the next. Game of Thrones is exceptional in that manner. Every scene feels as compelling as the next...which makes it quite suitable for binge watching. 

All of that said, there's no telling what will happen next. It's unpredictable, and besides, winter is coming. 



No comments:

Post a Comment