Thursday, September 17, 2015

Loss and Memory


Three years ago today, I lost my father. My life has changed so much in that time that it seems like forever ago. But then there are moments when it feels as though it just happened. I remember shortly after his death, a friend told me that over the years I would find that I missed him in different ways. That is remarkably true. Especially since the birth of my daughter in May, I find myself missing him in a ways that I never expected. I miss his companionship. I miss his laughter, his generosity, his advice and his wisdom. The pain that comes with loss ebbs and fades, but at moments like this, it's still there. Maybe not as raw, not as immediate, but it's there. Just different. That's life though, it never stays the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment