Thursday, June 2, 2016

Turning Points


I've reached one of those moments in my new manuscript, the kind that writers encounter several times in the course of a story. It's a moment where the direction of the story must choose one path or the other. I like to think of it as a "Choose Your Own Adventure" moment. If this happens, then proceed to page so-and-so...but if this happens, then go here instead. 

These moments are potentially momentum killers because you can take so long considering the possibilities rather than just plowing through. Luckily, I reached this moment just before the long weekend where I knew I wasn't going to have time to write. Which is good, because it gave me time to think. Thinking through a situation is something I never did in my early career. Sometimes I think that was a positive thing, but I know it wasn't really. Without thinking it through, I've gone down the wrong road enough times that I know it's better to get directions first. 

I have a road map now....at least until the next "Choose Your Own Adventure" moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment