Friday, December 16, 2016

It's Beginning to Smell a Lot Like Christmas


I don't know how it happens, but every year Christmas seems to come faster and faster. As a child, I remember how the years were measured from Christmas to Christmas (sometimes from First Day of School to First Day of School). It seemed like an eternity. Even the weeks leading up to Christmas felt like their own mini-eternity of baked cookies, decorating, watching holiday cartoons and waiting, waiting, waiting. 

Though my love of Christmas has never waned, this is the first year in quite a few where I find myself nostalgic for that eternity of the past. The cold weather and early snow has certainly played a part in that, but I also think it has to do with the fact that this is my daughter's second Christmas, and the first one where she's been active in some of those events that I loved as a child. I think one of the great things about having children a little later in life is that you are far enough away from childhood that you can really enjoy the experiences of childhood vicariously through watching the joy on your child's face. I know that after next weekend, I'm going to be looking forward to next year's holiday and once again, the Christmas to Christmas measurement will exist for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment